This is historic. Many authors have published books with a “call to action” about the importance of machine superintelligence (including at least 4 books in the past 2 years):
- Singularity Rising by James Miller (2012)
- Facing The Intelligence Explosion by Luke Muehlhauser (2013)
- Our Final Invention by James Barrat (2013)
- Smarter Than Us by Stuart Armstrong (2014)
But Nick Bostrom’s upcoming Superintelligence book is different. Even though it’s accessible to a wide audience, it doubles as a researcher-level survey of almost all major technical problems and approaches currently being studied by folks at MIRI and FHI. FAI research now has its first textbook.
Superintelligence is ”now shipping”. I’d recommend ordering it for at least 4 reasons:
- You’re gonna want to read it.
- Your purchase could help push the book up the charts in various Amazon categories (or into the NYT Best Seller list if we’re lucky)
- This book is the new textbook for the most important field of research in existence.
- You’ll be proud to have a 1st edition of this book one day. It’s like buying a copy of the paper the day JFK was shot… except actually important.