If you’re staffing up an early stage startup or growing a small nonprofit, I recommend reading through Adam Smith’s fantastic four part guide on hiring great people.
There are many details, but the key points are:
- Don’t hire even a single bad employee
- Hire from your network
- Recruiters are a nightmare — don’t do it!
- Have high standards — interview few / hire fewer
- Test what the employee will do on the team in your interview
- Hire with commitment and momentum once you decide
- Pay market wages — lower/higher both backfire for different reasons